Sunday, March 5, 2017

Logan

It’s Comic-Con weekend and after a day of seeing super heroes everywhere I went and saw Logan.

(Here I am at the theater, still in cosplay)
In the far future, a sickly Wolverine is one of the last mutants. He is in hiding and is helping an old Professor X. While running away from his past, he is confronted by the first young mutant that’s appeared in years, and must help her against forces that want to use her for their own gain.

Here are my thoughts on the movie after seeing it.

I’ll start off by saying relative to the other X-Men movies, Logan was pretty good. Which I know isn’t saying all that much, but the X-Men have always been those super heroes that have had a harder transition from the comics to the silver screen. It’s not so much a dig at other X-Men movies as it is pointing out that they’re starting to figure out a formula.

The pace was fairly slow all throughout the film. Which surprised me in a pleasant way. It makes sense considering that Wolverine is supposed to be an old man at this point that is slowly dying. 

X-23 was fantastic. She didn’t spend that much time in the film talking, so she just had to express emotion through her actions. On top of that she was really good at being an action star. I found myself enjoying the fight scenes with X-23 more than I did than the ones without her. And I will say I always loved how angry Wolverine gets in all the fight scenes he’s been in, so seeing X-23 deliver that same energy always got me pumped. Which, with the slow pace, was delightful.

Lastly, I feel like there’s a lot that can be said about X-23 having a blank stare and bloody knuckles.

This picture can basically describe the whole movie.
There were some things that didn’t have any resolution to them, and I wasn’t sure if that’s because they want to make a sequel or if it was just a problem with the writing. There was a lot of confusion and a lot of things I thought were loose ends, but it turned out there were answers that were just very briefly mentioned. These answers had to be taken from references and implications, and I felt like it would have helped to have more concrete facts.

At one point of time in the movie there’s this whole sequence that’s shot like a dream sequence, and it was really confusing when it turned out not to be one. I get what they were going for, but the transition to this scene was pretty non-diegetic. It kept going on and on, and I kept thinking there’d be some reveal that none of that actually just happened, but that reveal never came.

There was also this story element that was introduced ⅔’s of the way through that felt like it was just there to add more tension. They gave a reason for why Logan couldn’t use it, and then Logan had to use it, but faced none of the consequences for why they said he couldn’t use it.

Overall, Logan was a pretty alright movie. It was fine and all, and I want to see more X-23 as Wolverine, but this felt like a good last movie for Logan as Wolverine.

On my scale of: Premiere, See it in theaters, Matinee, Buy the DVD, Rent it, or Skip it, Logan lands firmly at just Buy the DVD

No comments: